How about cooling down the Spanish way this summer? Soup is soul food and our go-to meal after a busy day, so we got renowned Chef Omar Allibhoy to share his delicious recipe for Gazpacho exclusively for you… ‘hug in a mug’ we say.
GAZPACHO (Chilled tomato and pepper soup)
Serves: 6 | Preparation time: 20 minutes
- 8 tomatoes quartered
- 1/2 Spanish onion, roughly chopped
- 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 cucumber, chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 5 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 slice of bread
- 1 glass water
- 10 tbsp Spanish olive oil (available across all Jones the Grocer UAE stores)
- Salt to taste
- Ice cubes, croutons and olive oil to garnish
- Place all the prepared vegetables in a food processor or blender, reserving a little of the red and green pepper, cucumber and onion for the garnish. Add cumin, sherry vinegar, bread, olive oil and about 200 ml of water. Add a pinch of salt and blend until smooth.
- Check the seasoning and add more salt if necessary. If you don’t like bits in your gazpacho you can pass through a sieve at this stage. Serve with a few ice cubes and garnish with the reserved pepper and cucumber, croutons and a few drops of olive oil.
Chef’s Tip: Gazpacho tastes so much better when prepared in advance. If you do not want to sieve it, wait until just before serving as the flavour will be much more intense if it has been left over night with all the bits in.