Sometimes a sandwich for lunch just isn’t interesting enough…
This recipe by Annabel Karmel is not only easy to make but incredibly appealing to the eye – perfect for that ‘oh, I just threw some ingredients’ lunch time moment with friends.
PESTO RICE SALAD
Makes: four to six portions
- 200g long grain rice
- 1/2 red pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1 can sweetcorn (189g)
- 150g cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1 bunch spring onions, sliced
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, cubed
- 100g French beans, sliced
- 75g baby broccoli florets
For the dressing:
- 4tbsp fresh pesto
- 3tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1tsp sugar
- 3tsp basil, chopped
- Cook the rice in boiling, salted water, chain and leave to cool.
- Add the pepper, sweetcorn, tomatoes, spring onion and chicken to a mixing bowl.
- Either steam the beans and broccoli for a few minutes until tender, or cook in boiling, salted water for three minutes then chain and refresh in cold water
- Mix the dressing ingredients together and pour over the vegetables and chicken.
- Add the rice. beans and broccoli and season. Chill until ready to serve.
Download Annabel’s New App
Raising a miniature chef? Annabel Karmel’s brand new Family Cooking app includes a special Kids Rule the Kitchen cookery course, designed to equip your little ones with essential cooking skills while sparking their imagination. Available via the App Store
For more lunchbox recipes from Annabel Karmel, the UK’s number one parenting author, see Annabel’s app, Annabel’s Essential Guide To Feeding Your Baby and Toddler, available on iTunes