Lentil Salad Recipe From The Iraqi Kitchen
Celebrity Raghad Al Safi shares his famous zalatat addas (lentil salad) recipe from his hit cook book The Iraqi Kitchen.
Perfect for vegetarians, the lentils and cheese pack it with protein to keep you going all day, and the abundance of antioxidant-rich vegetables create a delicious fusion of flavours and textures.
Ir your carnivore tendencies get the better of you then add some grilled chicken.
ZALAT ADDAS (LENTIL SALAD)
- 2 cucumbers
- 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes or 2 large tomatoes
- 1 diced red onion
- 1/4 coloured pepper
- 100g halloumi or feta cheese
- 1/2 cup cooked brown or green lentils
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp pomegranate syrup
- 1/4 cup parsley leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 3 tbsp pomegranate seeds
1. Cut the cucumbers, tomatoes and cheese into cubes.
2. Add the parsley leaves and the red onions.
3. For the dressing whisk the lemon juice, olive oil, pomegranate syrup, lemon zest, salt and pepper together.
4. Mix all the ingredients with the dressing and serve in a large bowl. Lay the lentils on top for a finishing touch. Garnish with pomegranate seeds.