Wedding dress designer extraordinaire, Vera Wang, celebrates her 65th wedding tomorrow. Her career began in 1972 when she was scouted by Vogue whilst working at Yves Saint Laurent, however, it wasn’t until she started working for Ralf Lauren in 1987 that she discovered her love for design. Vera opened her first bridal boutique on Madison Avenue in 1990, which enabled her to become a fashion icon in her own right. With her creations loved by industry insiders and the public alike, she now designs lingerie, jewellery and home products.
One thing’s for sure, she’ll definitely be celebrating her birthday in style with a host of celebrity friends. To celebrate the big 65, here are six things you didn’t know about Vera, and some of our all-time-favourite Vera Wang designs.
Six things you didn’t know about Vera Wang:
1. Vera once wore two different coloured shoes to the White House by accident.
2. Her favourite food is donuts.
3. She has a room in her house dedicated to her collection of 1,000 T-shirts.
4. She loves playing golf.
5. Her favourite place in the world is her bed.
6. On a photo shoot for Vogue a dog got too excited and ripped a Geoffrey Beene dress apart.
Our all time favourite Vera Wang designs:
Sharon Stones satin ball gown she wore to the 1993 Oscars
Nancy Kerrigan’s neon yellow skating dress she wore to the 1994 Winter Olympics
Ivanka Trump’s Wedding Dress in 2009
Chelsea Clinton’s wedding dress in 2010