After an exclusive class at the L’Oréal Professional school in Paris, Elizabeth Whiston-Dew reveals the secret tips from the industry insiders.
Trend forecasting with Odile Gilbert
Name: Odile Gilbert
Title: Creator of L’Oréal Professional Hair Colour Collection
Known as: Queen of the Backstage
A word from Odile: “I’m designing hair for the feeling of each house, and each house has its story. I learned in New York; one trend is not enough for me, you need to think big.”
Hair guru Odile Gilbert takes command backstage at Jean Paul Gaultier Haute Couture S/S13
1. Trend: Retro French plait | Show: Jason Wu S/S13
The How to:
- Create a side parting.
- French-plait the hair from just below the crown of the head, leaving out the front section on the parted side.
- Neatly tuck under the French plait, and pin at the nape of the neck.
- Take the front section and mould it into a wave, securing in place with a barrette. Once hair is set, remove the clip and the hair will stay in place.
2. Trend: Medieval punk | Show: Rodarte S/S13
The How to:
- Blow dry hair straight and run over with an iron to seal any split ends.
- Hair is parted over the top of the head from ear to ear. The back part is smoothed down.
- The front section is swept tidily over to the opposite side, so that it has the effect of a light shave on the side of the head – think Alice Dellal.
With The Great Gatsby fever rising, hairdressing looks to the 1920s for inspiration. This season’s It cut is the bob. The pin-up? None other than supermodel Karlie Kloss and her new crop:
Earthy brown tones rule. Picture dreamy lowlights in warm mocha tones.
Ask for the Ombré Nature look:
“Colour to a cut is definitely the best accessory,” says Laurent Decreton, L’Oréal Professional leading colourist
1. Steam Pod Dhs1,100 L’Oréal Professional & Rowenta Salon.
2. Inoa Care Masque Dhs115 L’Oréal Professional
3. Inoa Care Shampoo Dhs85 L’Oréal Professional
4. Inoa Care Conditioner Dhs105 L’Oréal Professional
5. Mythic Oil Dhs125 L’Oréal Professional