Not everyone can or wants to eat red meat so this is a fabulous alternative recipe that allows everyone (aside from vegans and veggies, of course) to enjoy a bowl of gorgeous chilli – the ultimate comfort food.
EW chef, Farah Sawaf says: “I love this recipe. It’s cosy yet not heavy like most chillis. It really does hit the spot when you are craving a comforting dinner dish – perfect for movie watching.”
Recipe courtesy of our favourite culinary whizz Farah Sawaf from cookingwithamanicure.com
SPRING WHITE CHILLI
15 minutes to prepare and 3 hours to simmer
Recommended NStyle polish colour: Sugar and Spice
- 500g chicken breast, ask the butcher to chop into small squares
- ½ tsp sea rock salt
- ¼ tsp fresh ground pepper
- 2 tsp olive oil, but not virgin as it burns easier
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans white cannellini beans, good quality, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup chopped leeks
- 1 cup chopped baby corn OR a small can of sweetcorn, rinsed and drained.
- 2 tsp oregano, fresh is best but dried is good
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- Chopped green jalapeno, canned
- 1 ½ cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Fat free sour cream. I also use Total zero fat Greek yogurt
- Coriander, roughly chopped
- Red pepper flakes
- Green onions, the bottom white part, chopped
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and drizzle olive oil onto mix. In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté chicken until cooked.
- Stir in the onion then a few minutes later add the garlic and cook for two more minutes. Cook until chicken is browned and vegetables are tender.
- Transfer to a slow cooker.
- In a small bowl mash one of the cans of cannellini beans. Add to the pot on the slow cooker and add the remaining beans and broth. Add corn and leeks. Mix well. Add oregano, cumin, white pepper and a touch more salt.
- Cover and slow simmer on low for three hours. Stir before serving.
- I always tend to throw in a few jalapeños at the end for a kick! Add anything you desire. I’ve suggested our favourite add-ons!
All products are available from milK&HONEY. Stores are located in Palm Jumeirah (04) 4328686 and Emirates Hills Meadows Centre (04) 4356363