A few of Dubai’s government employees would’ve had a stern telling off yesterday. Why? An unannounced spot-visit by Dubai’s Ruler saw him turn up to empty desks.
Vice President, Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai H.H. Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum paid a surprise visit to several government offices on Sunday, only to find some workers were absent.
In a video posted on the Dubai Media Office’s Twitter, Sheikh Mohammed is the only person to be seen in the office.
Sheikh Mohammed wasn’t happy, and has since terminated nine senior management officials effective today to infuse new blood into Dubai Municipality.
The senior Dubai Municipality officials that have been terminated are:
– Abdul Qader Al Jasmi, Executive Director of Legal Affairs
– Engineer Essa Al Maidoor, Deputy Director General of Dubai Municipality
– Mohammed Abdul Karim Julfar, Assistant Director General for Corporate Support Sector
– Khaled Ali Ahmed bin Zayed Al Falasi, Assistant Director General for Communication and Community Sector
– Engineer Salah Amiri, Assistant Director General for Environment and Public Health Services Sector
– Engineer Salim bin Musmar, Assistant Director General for Environment and Public Health Services Sector
– Obaid Salem Al Shamsi, Assistant Director General for Public Support Sector
– Engineer Khalid Mohammed Saleh Al Mulla, Director of the Building Department
A release from Dubai Media Office stated that Sheikh Mohammed “made a spot check on ordinarily busy government offices to assess their commitment to providing the highest service standards”.
“He certainly wanted to send a message,” Mona Al-Marri, director-general of the government of Dubai Media Office told Bloomberg.
“Timeliness starts at the top and we won’t go after employees when their bosses aren’t there.”
A release by the Dubai Media Office states: “The changes, effective from today [Monday August 29] are part of a move to infuse new blood into Dubai Municipality and provide opportunities for promising young leaders to take on new roles for implementing the highest international service standards in line with the Dubai Government’s objective of providing the highest quality of service across all its departments and bodies”.
Khalifa Saeed Sulaiman, director general of Dubai Protocol and Hospitality Department posted pictures and videos of Sheikh Mohammed touring the offices on his Instagram.
He stated that Sheikh Mohammed was on a field tour to government departments, including Dubai Municipality, the Department of Land and Property and the Department of Economic Development and their directors and senior officials were allegedly not present.
Another video on Sulaiman’s Instagram shows our hard working leader Sheikh Mohammed paying a visit to Dubai International Airport.
He can be seen waving casually at travellers and workers at passport control – this isn’t the first time the friendly royal has interacted with the public. Check out these fun occasions, too.
Sheikh Mohammed’s surprise visits were common throughout the transformation of Dubai into the modern desert metropolis it is today.
We’re sure the man responsible for building the Dubai we all know and love doesn’t take too kindly to slacking.
There’ll be a few government employees returning to work today with their tails between their legs…