From canary yellow hues to cushion-shaped stones, Emirates Bride offers an extensive guide on what you need do know before picking out the engagement ring.
Shopping for your engagement ring can feel daunting and you may find yourself asking: What on earth is an asscher cut? What size carat should I be looking at? Should I consider a pink or colourless diamond?
Luckily for you, we have picked the best engagement rings in the UAE and devised the ultimate guide on the all important four Cs – cut, clarity, carat and colour. Now, if you have a feeling your partner will surprise you with an engagement ring then simply print out this page and leave it on the coffee table.
THE FOUR Cs
From princess to radiant, pear to marquise, there are 13 different cuts of diamonds to choose from. Note that a good cut gives a diamond its brilliance.
A diamond’s clarity is how free it is from imperfections – most natural diamonds have flaws, so the fewer flaws it has the pricier it becomes.
Take your hue seriously. Diamonds run from colourful to colourless. The less colour the more sparkle and fire it emits. Pink, canary yellow and blue (one of the most desired shades after Kate Middleton got engaged with her 12ct Ceylon sapphire) diamonds are also in demand for the lady who wants more excitement in her jewellery box.
The carat determines the diamonds size – the bigger the gem the higher the price tag, with the average diamond carat coming in at 1.18ct. Dead set on not breaking the budget? Choose a horizontal oval shape, known as the east-west, to give the illusion of a bigger stone.
NEW TRENDS TO NOTE
• Cartier – Can’t decide on one, then mix your metals
• Tiffany – The single halo has now moved onto the double halo
• Chopard – The intricate twisted style has a romantic appeal
• Have a manicure before ring shopping. You want your finger to look its best.
• Check out tiffany.com’s hand model app, where you can select your preferred style against the skin tone of your choice.
• Research, research, research! The knot.com showcases 300 different styles on the Engagement Ring Search tool, or for the more creative, design your ring using the Ring Builder tool.
• Discuss your budget with your partner prior to shopping and, most importantly stick to it!
• Hit the malls early in the morning and on a weekday to ensure plenty of personal attention in the jewellery boutiques.
Main Image: Tiffany shoot for Emirates Bride
Photographer: Vikram Gawde