If the on going rumours are to be believed, we’re in for a third instalment of Sex and the City 3 – and all of us at Emirates Woman HQ can hardly wait. But we’re even more excited about the launch of Sarah Jessica Parker’s shoe line at Harvey Nichols-Dubai this month. And that’s not just hearsay; it’s the gospel truth. In our Emirates Woman November 2014 cover story Sarah Jessica Parker tells us all about fashion, the film speculation and life…
Just like her Sex And The City character, Carrie Bradshaw, SJP is obsessed with shoes and in our UAE exclusive cover story, she tells us about her collaboration with footwear aficionado and Manolo Blahnik CEO, George Malkemus. Featuring classic pumps, sultry lace-up boots and a ‘Carrie’ T-strap high heel that we can’t wait to get our hands on, it’s elbows at the ready as this collection is set to sell out fast.
SJP insists that while she is honoured to be viewed as a style icon, she’s a mother and businesswoman first. “ I am a working mother,” she said. “I have three children that I am responsible for, that I care a great deal about and who are all in school and who have projects outside of school and recitals and plays and lunches to be fixed and paediatrician appointments to go to. But I am also a business person, so I have meetings and phone calls to return and letters to write and scripts to read, so it’s a mixture of both.”
On her style inspiration: “I have a lot of style icons. Some are known and some are not so well known. There are great screen stars that I have always loved – from Ingrid Bergman to Carole Lombard. There are women in my New York neighbourhood that I think are amazing looking and my mother, who made clothes when I was a little girl.”
On dressing up: “After all these years, it’s still really fun to get to borrow a beautiful dress. I still love that very, very much!”
On her home life with her husband and three kids: “It’s busy, it’s chaotic but there is routine and we have our own rituals and it’s very happy.”
Five things you didn’t know about Sarah Jessica Parker:
- She’s one of eight children.
- She prefers British television comedies to US ones, especially Fawlty Towers and Absolutely Fabulous.
- Sarah Jessica Parker was the only one of the girls in SATC with a clause in her contract stating she would never appear nude on screen.
- In 2012, the apartment where Sarah’s SATC character Carrie Bradshaw “lived” sold for US$9.65 Million (Dhs35 million).
- After ending her television run of Sex And The City (1998), she negotiated a multi-million dollar contract to do advertisements for The Gap; a clothing brand she never wore once during the run of the show.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN FROM THE NOVEMBER ISSUE
- In Afghanistan, girls are raised as boys in a cultural practise called Bacha Posh.
- How to adopt in the UAE.
- What women really want – and no, it’s not Brad Pitt. In fact, you’ll be pleasantly surprised by what the experts tell us.
- Why sports gear is no longer reserved for the gym.
- The tricks to rebooting your beauty routine.