From soap star (Neighbours) to silver screen goddess (Wolf Of Wall Street), antipodean beauty Margot Robbie can now be added to the growing list of Australians who are dominating Hollywood.
Her Marilyn Monroe-esque bombshell looks may have propelled her into the limelight but Margot’s down-to-earth attitude and adorable sense of humour is what makes her more than a one hit wonder.
In our Emirates Woman August 2014 cover story we undercover the secret to the 24-year-old’s meteoric rise to stardom.
On utilising her skills on Neighbours: “When Neighbours came along it was like bootcamp for me. That was where I learned so much simply because you have to work very hard and be prepared to shoot your scenes very quickly. It was great training… I spent my time on Neighbours getting my ducks lined up.”
On the Wolf Of Wall Street, her big break: “It was good to get to work on Wolf of Wall Street first because I suffered from a lot of anxiety getting used to the idea of being on a set with Leo (DiCaprio) and Marty (Scorsese). At least I feel more comfortable being on big sets although I’m still in awe of all the brilliant actors I’ve been able to meet.”
On acting: “My family thought I was very dramatic as a child and I loved watching movies. I didn’t take up acting until my last year in high school and then I kind of knew that was what I wanted to do with my life.
On her sandwich making skills: “I take great pride in my sub skills and whenever I go to Subway and watch someone else prepare my sub, I’m always tempted to go behind the counter and show people how to do it properly!”
Five things you don’t know about our cover star Margot Robbie:
- She went off script in Wolf Of Wall Street and slapped Leonardo Di Caprio in the face. She describes the moment: “I got a little lost in the moment … I was meant to walk away but instead I slapped him in the face and said: ‘F*** you!’ There was stunned silence which felt like it lasted an eternity and then they all burst out laughing.”
- She’s a keen surfer and hockey player. She is a member of the ice hockey league in LA. She plays ring wing.
- Before her breakthorugh role, she starred as Laura Cameron on the ABC series Pan Am and had a small role in the Working Title hit About Time, which stars Rachel McAdams and Domhnall Gleeson.
- She was once accused with having an affair with her Focus co-star Will Smith. She took to Twitter to defend herself – “Been working nonstop, just catching my breath. There’s absolutely no truth to the ridiculous rumor in Star mag. It’s disappointing that goofing around on set could be taken so out of context.”
- She grew up on a farm. Before she moved to Melbourne at age 17, Margot chopped firewood and free-roamed on her grandparents’ farm on the Gold Coast in Queensland.
What you will learn from the August Issue:
How George Clooney’s fiancé Amal Alamuddin is a bona fide style icon
Why you’re still single at 30 (plus)
How one woman’s willingness to forgive saw her become a millionaire
The shocking secrets to success
Why fashion is all about the petal power
How orange is the new red in the world of beauty
Also with the August issue is the Emirates Woman Mini – two mags for the price of one.
You can download the latest issue, here: