Falafel, a delicious delicacy made of protein-packed chickpeas, is popular in the Middle East, however have you ever had them in a waffle format? This Falafel Waffles recipe by chefs Ron Pietruszka and Magdi Majdi Alhinani will change the way you see the once savory treat.
- 2 kg dry chickpeas, soaked overnight
- 1.5kg split broad beans, soaked overnight
- 300g onion
- 200g garlic
- 100g mint leaves
- 30g salt
- 30g cumin powder
- 20g white pepper
- 300g fresh parsley
- 140g sugar
- 500g flour
- 200ml milk
- 3 eggs
- 20g bicarbonate of soda
- Wash and dry the chick peas and broad beans. Mix with all falafel ingredients.
- Mince falafel mixture in a meat mincer to make a fine paste.
- To prepare the waffle batter, mix eggs, sugar, milk and soda to form a runny batter.
- Mix falafel l and waffle mixes together until they form a smooth batter. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Heat the waffle machine and lightly grease with pan coating.
- Pour the batter into the waffle machine and close the lid until done.
- Serve hot accompanied with tahini sauce, hummus and/or sweet potato mutabel.
Chefs Ron Pietruszka and Magdi Majdi Alhinani are based at The Ritz-Carlton, DIFC