OK, so we are well aware that goat’s cheese and beetroot aren’t the ingredients that usually spring to mind when thinking of what to cook for an impressive dinner. But, after trying this recipe, they will never be out of your mind again… and for good reason.
This low calorie, low sugar food recipe is just right for those health conscious diners who still wish to make a culinary statement without having to endure major calories.
Beetroot Napoleon With Honey Drizzled Goat’s Cheese
Resting time: Overnight
- 4 small red beets, roasted or boiled
- 200g goat’s cheese, softened
- 2 tbsp honey
- 3-4 tbsp Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp balsamic reduction
- 2 tbsp groundnut oil
- 50g chopped and roasted hazelnuts
- Mixed leaves to finish
- Slice the beets very thin circles using a two-inch diameter cutter. Place on a tray generously lined with paper towel and rest in the fridge overnight.
- Mix the softened goat’s cheese with the honey and add the Greek yogurt one tablespoon at a time, mixing until slightly softened but still holding its weight. Put in a piping bag.
- Add the roasted hazelnuts to the mixed leaves and drizzle on top the balsamic and groundnut oil.
- Start to build the Napoleon: starting with one beet slice, pipe a bit of goat’s cheese mixture in a swirling motion, top with another beet slice and press down slightly if the cheese mixture has not made it to the edge. Repeat to create a stack of six layers of beet and five layers of goat’s cheese.
- Serve chilled with the dressed mixed leaves and hazelnuts.
Created by Nadia Parekh of Mélange Dubai for the Beat Diabetes initiative’s Homey’s Guide to Healthy Recipes