Selena Gomez and Zayn Malik both recently pulled out from their concerts in the UAE. The main reason for each cancellation was anxiety, an all too familiar disorder that is affecting more people we realise.
In fact, according to a new study, approximately 18 to 20 per cent of the UAE population suffers from some kind of anxiety disorder.
While fans were devastated to hear that Gomez and Malik have been suffering with anxiety, at the same time this high profile status has thrust the mental health condition to the forefront.
Usually considered a taboo topic, thanks to the celebrities speaking out, many are now finding it easier to admit that they too have anxiety and are now seeking professional help.
According to a survey by YouGov, anxiety and depression affects one in five people, with women being 70 per cent more likely to experience it during their lifetime.
Untreated anxiety can result in a loss of quality of life with some patients suffering from insomnia, or from eating disorders.
The good news though is it can be treated and monitored through various techniques of mediations, mindfulness and therapy.
Signs You Suffer From Anxiety
- Excessive worrying. Everyone worries now and then but those with anxiety will have persistent anxious thoughts that can keep them up at night and that can last for days and months.
- Trouble sleeping.
- Shortness of breath.
- Panic attacks.
- Tingling in hands and feet.
- Heart palpations.
Ways To Beat Anxiety
- Breathe. Take in six slow breathes, hold for two seconds and breathe out and for eight counts. This will help calm you down and will also help with palpitations.
- Take a break. If you can feel yourself getting wound up, distract yourself. Go for a walk, make a cup of tea or have a bath.
- Meditate. Similar to the breathing technique above, mediation allows you to wind down and to truly access what’s bothering you. Chances are are it’s not worth bothering about.
- Think of a happy place or moment. Let the positive feelings soothe you until you feel more relaxed.
- Talk. Whether it’s to a friend, partner to a therapist, talking is such a perfect way to release what’s bothering you. A problem shared…
How To Beat Anxiety In Dubai
Mindfulness massage. Heart & Soul Spa at Al Barari has designed a Mindfulness Massage Journey. The treatment shows customers how to slow down and get more out of each moment, including how to get more out of a spa massage. Customers can choose from a 90 or 120-minute treatment, and will be guided throughout the experience by expert therapists and mindfulness cards. Prices start from Dhs500.
Therapy. LifeWorks offers personal development and self awareness training and workshops for individuals, couples, small groups and larger groups.
Get appy. The Mindfulness App on iTunes, helps you to keep to a healthier state of mind.
Main image: instagram.com/siogallagher/