You can always rely on Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana to throw a party that you’re still talking about for days to come.
Last night, at the Arabian Courtyard at Dubai’s One & Only Royal Mirage, the Italian design duo threw an all-singing, all-dancing get-together with a stylish guest list as long as the tables people were dancing on.
From the outfits on the night to a special guest making pizza, here’s the inside scoop on the party’s 8 hottest talking points…
1. THE SETTING: The Arabian Courtyard was turned into a classic Italian piazza complete with twinkly lights, tables covered in gingham table cloths, neon lights hanging over the bars, and proper stone pizza ovens. Partygoers snacked on olives, nuts, cheese and bread before the real party kicked off.
2. THE WHO’S WHO: The place was packed with some of Dubai’s most recognisable faces and top magazine editors, from Lebanese socialite Serene Assad and TV personality Renee Farah to blogger sisters Reem and Natalya Kanj of fivefivefabulous.com.
3. “TRATTORIA-ANNA”: It wouldn’t be Dolce & Gabbana party without their sidekick and fashion friend Anna Dello Russo kicking things off. The Vogue Japan editor-at-large and style icon took centre stage wearing a custom-made hessian bandeau dress emblazoned with a pizza logo. A gang of waiters performed a dance routine before lifting Anna on to the table where she danced and threw pizza dough and flour into the whooping crowd.
4. EVERYONE WAS WEARING DOLCE & GABBANA: It won’t come as shock that guests dressed to impress the designers, pulling out their Dolce & Gabbana best. There were waist-cinching corsets, shoulder-grazing earrings, black lace aplenty and vibrant floral gowns swanning around all night.
5. GRAND ENTRANCE: While the festivities were first getting started, Dolce, Gabbana and around 80 guests were holding a private dinner behind the scenes. As the meal drew to an end, the VIP diners walked into the party via the stage – causing quite a stir as eager onlookers were waiting for the design duo to make an appearance.
6. CROWNING GLORY: Gabbana borrowed gold, crown-embellished headphones from one partygoer and wore them on stage where he proceeded to fake spin the decks while a raucous crowd danced around him.
7. SMILE: Instead of the usual cardboard, brand-emblazoned photo wall you usually find at parties, there was a Dolce & Gabbana market stall containing clementines, lemons, garlic braids, slabs of cheese, loaves of bread and crates of olives.
8. CALL IT A NIGHT: We rounded things off with a freshly oven-cooked pizza. Waiters covered dough with dollops of mozzarella, tomatoes and basil where it was promptly baked right in front of punters (makes a change from having to make our Uber driver stop on the way home for a post-party snack).